Sunday, October 14, 2012

SUCCESS

   Things are particularly blurry at 5 am. Especially if it's cold and raining outside.

   If you have a goal in mind, you're willing to lose sleep. You want this thing more than your body wants it. 

   You're love for this one thing keeps you up at night and wakes you up early in the morning. 

   Friends and family support what you do, but they have no idea of the sacrifice.

   If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's life. I realized something tonight. If you want to ever be successful, you have to want that thing as much as you want oxygen to breathe. You can't sleep the day away because you might sleep through an opportunity. Everything you ever worked for in your life comes down to these few years between high school and college. We must push ourselves to the brink of exhaustion. 
   Who cares if it's cool to be relaxed and sit on a couch and fall asleep after school? Who cares if it's cool to not study and get Cs and Ds on tests? Who cares if it's cool to skip practice and give it your all on the day of a game/meet and do your very worst? Think about that for a second. Those things seem acceptable to A LOT OF PEOPLE, though not when worded in that fashion. Why would you not want to study or practice? Why would you fall asleep right after school when you could do your homework and get a good night's rest?
   These college application questions and essays are making me realize that I barely worked as hard as I should have to get into the places I am applying at. Looking at other people's application concerns online and seeing that they VOLUNTEERED for nonprofit organizations, they were PRESIDENTS of their clubs, they were CAPTAINS of their teams, they STUDIED ON WEEKENDS and they are STILL worried that they won't be accepted makes me look back at my own resume and see that I was just a MEMBER of clubs, I NEVER volunteered for anything other than an Italian festival, I was almost NEVER a leader in anything I did, and I PROCRASTINATED all my assignments until the night before they were due. And I think I have a shot at acceptance over these kids. Ha.
   We need to start working hard or we will miss all opportunities that are given to us around this age. We can't see them now, but there are a lot of people and companies out there looking for people like us, but they cannot single us out because of our small level of involvement. How will they know who we are and what we're good at if we don't show them what we are good at? Makes no sense.
   So much adrenaline pumping right now. And it's 1:59 am. Gosh, I want to be successful. 17 isn't a bad age to start, I guess. See you on the track tomorrow.

~This isn't the only thing I want to be. I'll keep you posted.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment